When people are asked what they want most in life, the number one reply is “I want to be Happy.” This is a global response. This is our number one desire.
Research started back in the 80’s, has proven that 50% of our Happiness is based on our genetics. Yes, that’s right, only 50%. And even if our backgrounds are not optimal, we through diligence, can override negative genetic programming. And merely 10% is based on environment, social standings, and financial achievement. Ironically the people that are focused primarily on gaining monetary success, status and power seem to be the least Happy. The Western dream has been about the acquisition of financial prosperity. Paradoxically in America, finances since WWII for most families have increased, yet the quotient of Happiness has stayed the same. Money did not bring the extra Happiness imagined.
The best and most positive result in the studies, was the 40% left in the Happiness quotient is dependent on us. We have the ability to override once again not only our genetics, our environment, our financial status, we have the ability to create Happiness no matter where we are in life. Whether we are young or old, rich or poor, we have the ability to create what it is we desire. The key of course is how?
The most happy people have a strong sense of community, are surrounded by supportive friends and family. They eat healthy fresh fruits and vegetables from their own or local gardens. They are involved in community activities. They laugh, sing and dance. The elderly stay very connected to young children. They are supported in times of crisis and are able to recover more quickly. Animals are part of family life. Gratitude is rich and plentiful for the goodness in life. They feel they are part of the “whole” and desire to contribute. The circle is complete and full.
An even bigger and more important component is “being of service.” Being part of the bigger picture – “doing good” for the world, initiates a vital electrical spark within the neurons of the brain supporting the emotional Happy component of the body. It’s in the simple acts which make the difference. Compassion meditation has also been proven to raise the Happiness vibe by large percentages.
These characteristics are similar and nearly identical to the Blue Communities around the globe, where individuals live healthy and happy lives well into the 80s, 90s and 100’s. What a beautiful thing.
Now is the perfect time to bring more daily happiness into your own life. What’s missing? Where are you not giving yourself what is needed to create the laughter? These are things I’ve asked myself personally, due to the high stress of my life over the past year. The trauma has taken a toll on my physical, mental and emotional well-being. I have to admit it. Even with my own ability to “create magic” I’ve not completely regained my sense of optimal happiness that is an essential part of my core personality. Fortunately, I have an incredible family and friend support group which has been my foundation. I of course, eat well. I have these two essential pieces plus awesome animals. But I’ve also realized I need to add a few more ingredients into the recipe to regain lost footing.
1. Formulate Happiness playlist for iPhone, of course starting with Pharrell Williams, “Happy”. Singing and dancing are so much fun!
2. Watch Happy films, movies, documentaries and laugh, cry and enjoy.
3. Grab morning sunlight (when available) and soak up the Happy energy. (It’s been proven morning sunlight literally is restorative, energizing and healing!!)
4. Reach out further into network of family and friends to strengthen relationship ties.
5. Be cognizant of weekly acts of giving.
6. Donate services.
7. Have daily moments of gratitude.
8. Create a calendar of Happy events and social gathering. Positively looking forward is optimal.
9. Reach out to any in need.
10. Hang out with the trees.
11. Create bouquets of colorful flowers – the beauty reflects outwardly warming and brightening a room.
12. Be mindful of smiling daily. It’s healthy and wonderfully anti-aging. Awesome bonus!
13. Carve out personal creative time for projects.
14. Play. Play with family, friends and animals.
15. Expect good things! Expecting positive things to arrive sets up the connection in advance putting the universe on task.
16. Find and seek “Wow” moments, things that stir the heart and soul.
17. Embrace the night sky, opening up to the magnificence, recognizing your place in the universe.
18. Remember to wash Love into your body everyday.
19. Move, dance, walk, run. Creates Happy endorphins in the brain.
20. Hug often, hug much!
A big dose of Happiness to you!
Cosmic sunshine to you.